Basement flooding stops, demolition resumes

The rain finally stops, and I’m able to dry out the basement. I have to remove the solid wood laundry room door which got water logged and started to split. I also decided to remove large amounts of carpeting and padding since it would all need to be replaced anyway, thanks to the Great Stuff accident. 

Gutters installed

My family and I spend the day installing new gutters, downspouts, and leaf guards on the two long edges of the roof. ($328.51)

One Year into the Ordeal

It has been one year since I purchased the house. At present:

  • I believe the structural concerns have been addressed.
  • I believe the concrete and carpentry work is 50% finished.
  • I believe the electrical work is 90% finished.
  • I believe the plumbing work is 90% finished. I have not been billed for labor, yet.
  • I believe the HVAC work is 80% finished.
  • 50% of my square footage is still unusable, including the master bedroom, closet, bathroom, rec room, and dining room.
  • I have spent $14,701.85 so far to correct hidden code violations, $10,000 of which is on a credit card.
  • I have spent $1,571.84 to make planned improvements and upgrades to the house.
  • I have spent $1,141.17 compensating for incidental emergencies.
  • A criminal investigation is still in progress by Anoka County.

I am extremely grateful to my friends, family, and strangers alike who have helped me do salvage work, keep my spirits up, and continue stand with me as I fight predatory remodeling.

Flooding analyzed

An engineer I trust analyzes my flooding problem, and reports that while there are many types of concrete, the product used to re-pour my basement floor is still a good fit. However, the self-leveling concrete was improperly installed, suffered damage in the flood, and will need to be removed. I start looking for concrete experts to properly level and swale the floor before construction continues.

The engineer also suggests that I hire a contractor to install drain tile.